Carers and families

SU Carers Families

Are you worried about a relative or friend?

Your GP is the best person to talk to if you think someone close to you may have a mental health problem. If the person is over 18, the GP will want to talk to them in person about what their problem may be and it may not be easy to get them to go. If the person does not understand that there is a problem, this will make it difficult for you to get the right help.

Can I go with someone to their appointment?

If the person you care about is ready to get help from AWP and they agree to you supporting them, you will be very welcome to attend their appointments. Once assessed, they may be seen by someone who will work with them and you, to help them recover.

If very unwell and not able to cope, they may be admitted to one of our inpatient units, either as a voluntary patient or under the Mental Health Act. This does not stop you having contact or visiting as appropriate.

We recognise that families/carers need information to support them in caring for a loved one.

The Patient Advice & Liaison Service (PALS) is a free, confidential and impartial service available to everyone who uses Trust services, their families, carers or anyone who needs advice, information, support or guidance.

Carers and staff in AWP have developed an information pack for family and friends who care for people with mental health problems. This has been developed over the years and you can download leaflets and information from the 'carer pack' tab above.

Local and national groups and organisations also provide information, support and advice.

Cookies on our website

Cookies are used to ensure you get the best browsing experience. No personally identifiable information is collected.
By using our site you agree to these cookies being used. For more information please see our Cookie Policy.