Early intervention in psychosis teams have been developing nationally since 2002. Each team provides a comprehensive multidisciplinary service to help people and their families as early as possible, giving them the best chance of preventing long term problems.
The service is for anyone from the age of 14-65 experiencing the following:
- Hearing voices or changes in their thoughts
- Alterations in how events, people and thoughts are perceived
- Feeling suspicious at times about other people
- Experiencing beliefs and thoughts that cause the person distress
- Changes in behaviour and performance, such as becoming more isolated or reduced motivation
Following an initial assessment, the teams provide rapid, intensive support for up to three years for individuals experiencing psychosis symptoms and their families. In some areas the teams work alongside child and adolescent mental health services with 14-16 year olds.
- Help individuals and families to increase their understanding of what is happening
- Reduce the level of distress caused by unusual experiences
- Provide proven treatments and therapies
- Prioritise personal recovery and a quick return to valued roles and social relationships.
The core hours for contacting the service are Monday to Friday 9.00 am to 5.00 pm but teams work flexibly beyond these hours to address individual needs.
Most people are referred by their GP.
The teams are keen to form partnerships with other youth services and to give presentations to any agency working with young people or people at risk of developing psychosis.
People who have accessed Early Intervention in Psychosis and clinicians across the South West have worked together to develop these videos and other resources on behalf of NHS England (South)
To view their website and the resources it has to offer visit www.epicminds.co.uk
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/i2H7hWSqOvg" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Se-lvz_stkg" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HU_WU9bEc8Y" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>