The team provides a service across Avon: Bristol, Bath & North-East Somerset, South Glos and North Somerset. It provides a specialist tertiary service to adults who have learning disabilities who have offended, are alleged to have offended, or who are considered at significant risk of offending. In addition to their Learning Disability those referred to this service can be hard to engage and may have additional needs associated with Autistic Spectrum Condition, Personality Disorder, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder and substance use. The team aims to work with such individuals alongside other agencies within health, social care and criminal justice services in order to help manage their risks, develop pro-social lives and reduce offending behaviours. The team consists of a senior mental health nurse (team leader), a learning disabilities nurse practitioner, two clinical psychologists and team secretary. Apart from the LD nurse practitioner all team members currently work part-time.
The team provides:
- Assessment, treatment and advice to service users, carers, professionals and providers in a range of community settings including residential care, supported living and local prisons.
- Specialist forensic risk assessment and risk management advice
- Assessment and intervention for specific offending behaviours
- Research, training, consultancy and clinical supervision
- We are able to accept referrals for individuals registered with GP's in Bristol, Bath & North East Somerset, South Glos, and North Somerset. We work in close liaison with local CLDT's and criminal justice personnel.
- We have a service user forum which meets every 6-8 weeks and helps advise the team on the service it provides