What we do
We are the Primary Mental Health Specialists (PMHS), the largest workforce within CAMHS and part of the Getting Advice service. Our team is made up of a range of professionals, including:
- mental health nurses
- clinical psychologists
- arts therapists
- occupational therapists
- family therapists
- social workers
Our role is to support you when there are concerns about your social and emotional wellbeing. We do this by giving advice, support and signposting, or offering direct work when appropriate.
We identify mental health needs early on and then direct you to the right support, such as:
- offering regular appointments, advice, support and signposting to other professionals.
- offering direct work to you and family/carer when appropriate, for low to moderate needs, or where the difficulties might be school-based, through:
- assessment and onward signposting/referrals.
- working as a team with other professionals.
- attending meetings.
- brief, targeted treatments of around six sessions, using evidence-based approaches like CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) – find out what CBT is here and how it works.
We do not currently have a PMHS service in North Somerset,but we are working on developing this in the future.