Bath and North East Somerset
Individual Placement and Support is a specialist employment service for Bristol, North Somerset and South Gloucestershire (BNSSG) and BANES, Swindon and Wiltshire (BSW) and is delivered in partnership with Richmond Fellowship.
People with mental health problems often want to be working but don't know how to go about it or need support to make it happen.
IPS employs dedicated Employment Specialists who will work alongside Recovery and Early Intervention teams to support clients in finding and staying in work.
IPS is client-centred – seeing employment as an active intervention to assist individual recovery.
Employment specialists can support patients by helping:
- To overcome setbacks and worries at work
- With career progression
- To get the right information about benefits to avoid the risks and anxieties of becoming worse off
- Make contact with employers and offer support when meeting with them, if needed
- Provide ongoing in-work support to ensure sustained employment
The eight principles of IPS
IPS has been shown to be more effective the more closely it follows these eight principles:
- It aims to get people into competitive employment
- It is open to all those who want to work
- It tries to find jobs consistent with people's preferences
- It works quickly
- It brings employment specialists into clinical teams
- Employment specialists develop relationships with employers based upon a person's work preferences
- It provides time unlimited, individualised support for the person and their employer
- Benefits counselling is included