AWP is the primary provider of the Op COURAGE Integrated Veterans Mental Health and Wellbeing Service, working in partnership with Dorset Healthcare University Foundation Trust, Combat Stress, Walking With The Wounded, Mental Health Matters and Togetherall.
This partnership builds on the existing statutory provision within local areas across the South West to ensure that veterans can access a range of specialist support and treatment, tailored to their specific needs. This provision brings together mental health, physical health and wellbeing support.
The Op COURAGE Integrated Veterans Mental Health Service can support anyone who has served in the UK Armed Forces community regardless of length of time served, rank or reason for leaving. We cover the areas of Bath and North East Somerset, Swindon and Wiltshire Bristol, North Somerset and South Gloucestershire Cornwall and The Isles Of Scilly, Devon, Dorset, Gloucestershire, and Somerset.
Our services are available to:
- former members of the Royal Navy, Army and Royal Air Force
- reservists who are not currently mobilised
- those who have served in the Merchant Navy in support of military operations
- those who have served their National Service
- former members of the Territorial Army
Veterans may experience a range of mental health difficulties, including:
- depression and anxiety
- difficulty with sleeping
- feeling overwhelmed
- difficulty controlling anger and frustration
- difficulty moving on from military life
- alcohol, drug or gambling issues
- post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
The service can provide comprehensive assessments and offer access to local support. Depending on each individual’s circumstances, we may signpost veterans to other local services including non-statutory services to ensure that there is a holistic package in place throughout the pathway – supporting and complimenting care delivered by the Op COURAGE Integrated team.
These services might include:
- housing support
- debt management
- employment support
- social inclusion
- welfare support
Op COURAGE Integrated Veterans Mental Health Services have established links, including:
- Crisis / home treatment teams
- Liaison psychiatry
- Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT) services
- Adult community mental health teams
- Inpatient services
- Substance misuse services
- Gambling services
- Sexual assault referral centres (SARCs)
- Personal health budgets (PHBs) including PHBs for wheelchairs
- Services for veterans in the Criminal Justice System (CJS)
- Veterans Trauma Network (VTN) and physical healthcare services
How to access our service:
If you meet the criteria for either a veteran or a serving personnel member you can refer yourself directly by either:
- calling: 0300 034 9986 (24 hours a day, 7 days a week)
- emailing: email@example.com
You can also contact your GP or health professional to refer you too.
Please be aware that due to the change in service, the Gateway referral team at Berkshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust will no longer handle referrals for Op COURAGE in the South West of England.
Where can I find out more?
Find out more about your local Op COURAGE service at: www.nhs.uk/opcourage