At AWP, we recognise that work experience placements can be a huge benefit both to you and us. We are committed to providing work experience opportunities that allow you to explore the different career paths we can offer and show you how you can make a positive difference to people in need of our services.
You can access a work experience placement in the following ways:
- organised student work experience placement schemes as part of a college or university course, with an agreed learning programme.
- programmes organised by schools or colleges for a short period of time (usually no more than two weeks).
- schemes we organise in areas where we need to develop skills and interest in certain roles or professions.
- national schemes organised by the NHS.
- individual requests for work experience, or to ‘shadow’ (meaning you observe someone doing the job) for short periods of no more than two weeks.
Longer term placements may be considered in some cases.
Please do not approach individual members of staff to ask them to host a work experience placement.
AWP run services across a large region of South West England. Ideally, you will be living and/or studying in one of these areas:
- Bath and North-East Somerset (BANES)
- North Somerset
- South Gloucestershire
You can carry out work experience if:
- a ward manager or supervisor in the relevant department is available to fully supervise you during your time with us.
- you are 16 years or over and working in an office environment, or 18 years and over on a ward or in a clinical setting.
- we have carried out ID checks and referencing. We might need to complete further checks, depending on the location of your placement. Checks take a minimum of four weeks to complete.
You must contact us using the details in this section to apply to do work experience anywhere in AWP. Please do not ask individual members of staff to host a work experience placement.
Please send your CV to awp
- the location you are interested in, such as a particular town/city, or hospital/ward, or the specific team you are interested in working with if you have one in mind.
- the type of experience/role you are interested in, such as nursing, healthcare support, administration or finance.
- the dates when you would like to do your work experience. Please indicate if you have been given a specific period of time away from study to complete your work experience.
We will let you know that we have received your application as soon as possible. We will then:
- contact the relevant ward manager or team leader to check they can host your work experience placement.
- let you know as soon as possible by email if we can offer you a placement.
If we cannot offer you a placement, we will try to arrange for you to speak to a member of staff in the field/role you are interested in by phone or video call.
Careers, jobs and services at AWP
Find out more about some of the exciting careers we offer at AWP from people doing the job, on our Working with us page . Visit the NHS Health Careers website for information on the 350 different types of roles available in the NHS and take a quiz to find out what roles might suit you.
The Step Into the NHS website features helpful information for young people thinking about a career in the NHS.
If you’re starting to think about the type of work experience you would like, take a look at the different AWP services that might interest you using our service search tool
Careers and jobs fairs
We attend many events at local schools, colleges and universities in our region, so keep an eye out for events information at your educational setting. We also share where we are going to be attending on Twitter
If you’re a careers teacher or adviser, please contact us at awp